Friday 21 August 2015

It all starts.

Author: George R.R. Martin
Status: A Song of Ice and Fire #1
Genre: Adult, Fiction, Epic Fantasy
General Thoughts: Great book, much dead
Rating: 5/5 stars

11264999

First Lines
The morning had dawned clear and cold, with a crispness that hinted at the end of summer. They set forth at daybreak to see a man beheaded, twenty in all, and Bran rode among them, nervous with excitement. This was the first time he had been deemed old enough to go with his lord father and his brothers to see the king's justice done. It was the ninth year of summer, and the seventh of Bran's life.
A Game of Thrones is the acclaimed novel of George R.R. Martin, focusing on the land of Ice and Fire, and the interesting characters found in it. Power, love, gold and family will move this characters to do everything they can, and this games of thrones are only beginning.

What else could be said about such a book that hasn't been said before?

I really loved this book. It was such a great realistic piece of fantasy. And not one to put pretty things around and sugar coat life. This is the stuff I like. This is what I love to read.

The book is very well written, and you can tell from the beginning that everything is set up perfectly and that it all adds up for a better and bigger thing, and that this first book was just the introduction to it all. I'm really excited to go on with this series and follow along the game of thrones.

What I specially like about this book is that all of the characters (at least the ones that do matter) are presented in a way that you get to know them, even thought it's not immediately. Like, I know eventually I'll know everything about them. Right now I can tell you so many things about them just guessing around, because I feel like I've known them forever. This means really good character development.

At first I kind of panicked for all the characters that I sometimes forgot who they were and who's side they were on, but later I learned that really, that's kind of the idea. Don't try to learn them all, they probably won't last anyway.

Even now I already have defined which characters I like and which not. Like, I have such deep emotions for some of them that wow, I might kill someone out of frustration.

Anyway, it does strike hard in the heart this book, sometimes it hurts to see what a mess everything is and how much changes have been made to it all. It's hard, I won't lie.

And there's so much things I can quote out of this book, and sometimes they're such beautiful passages. Let me show you. (Tyrion is one quotable motherfucker)


"My mind is my own weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer, and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge."
Tyrion Lannister

"The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends", Ser Jorah told her. "It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace."
Ser Jorah Mormont

"Oh, but it was, my lord," Cersei insisted. "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."
Cersei Lannister

And many more, unquotable right now because no spoliers. But really, some of them were hilarious.

I definitely recommend you to read this book if you haven't and if you're hesitant or scared , don't be because it is most definitely worth it and so good. Don't fear it, be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment