Friday 4 September 2015

That part of your brain that you can't escape from.

Title: Dark Places
Author: Gillian Flynn
Genre: Mystery, Horror, Adult Fiction
General Thoughts: F*cked up, but good.
Rating: 5/5 stars.

5886881

First Lines
I have a meaness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slide out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it. It's the Day blood. Something's wrong with it.
Dark Places is the story of a little girl's survival to the brutal murders of her family, by her brother, and whatever happened afterwards with her. Now, an adult, she finally see's back on that day, and starts to question what really happened that day, all those years back...

Man is this shit fucked up. But, it's good as hell.

I absolutely adored and loved this book. It was disgusting, horrifying, scary and absolutely perfect. This books borders on the side of sanity, and you could catch some poison of it, but damn is it worth it.

All of the characters, every single one, are unreliable characters. Each in their own special way. The main character is unbelievable useless and lazy, and with some untreated mental problems, and the rest are a mixture of ignorant people, tired and exhausted people, angry teenagers, and psychopaths. And yet, you root for their well being (most of them) and for their success out of this mess. And for some, you want them to burn in hell. But then, later on, not quite.

My views on this characters changed so much throughout the book that I don't even know anymore. It was like...


Moving on. The mystery in itself was damn well constructed. It was mysterious all over the place, and the various POV where spot on. They actually helped build the book even more. All those things said and misunderstood, all those secrets. They make the book even better. And, of course, extremely well executed.

Of course, I being me, kind of saw where the mystery was going, what tracks it was following. But, even thought that, it still managed to surprise me how and who finally executed the final twist. So yeah, extremely well pieced together.

Lastly, the world building, even thought not necessary to the genre, was well done. I imagined myself being in there, with all the rest of the characters. And even thought I've never been to places remotely like this, I still felt it in me.

And the definition the author gives to what a Dark Place is, loved it, perfect, it's a new quote on my book quote (not that I have one, but you feel me?).

"I can never dwell in these thoughts. I've labeled the memories as if they were a particulary dangerous region: Darkplace"

Of course, you must read the whole thing to understand it.

This book is excellent, grotesque, mysterious, fast paced, poisonous, incredible, sad and a must read. One of the best jobs by the author, maybe even in the same spot as Gone Girl. *gasps in the background*

Although, I do warn you, this is not for the weak, sensible, devoted religious, and tender people. Read at your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment