Friday 6 February 2015

Nothing is What it Seams.

Name: Gone Girl
Author: Gillian Flynn
Genre: Mystery, Thriller, Adult Fiction
General Thoughts: Appearances matter, a lot.
Rating: 5/5 stars.

12837725

First Lines
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head. The shape of it, to begin with. The very first time I saw her, it was the back of the head I saw, and there was something lovely about it, the angles of it. Like a shiny, hard corn kenel or a riverbed fossil. She had what the Victorians would call a finely shaped head. You could imagine the skull quite easily.
Gone Girl is the story of how Nick's wife, Amy Dunne, disappears, and all the secrets that unravel after it. It shows how it all comes tumbling down and how not everything is what it looks like.

This book. Blew. My. Mind.

The end.

But seriously, this is one of the best books I've read in a while.

Just, wow.

We first see Nick talking about his wife and his wore-down marriage. And then how Amy disappears on their wedding anniversary. And from then on things are never the same. Through the whole book you form this idea of every character, like one normally would. And through every chapter that you read, you realize that none of the things you though about were true. It's amazing the ability Gillian Flynn has to keep surprising us and proving us wrong. I'm completely amazed.

We have Nick, who's the typical husband who's gotten bored and tired of his life. And you think "Nick is a good guy" and you keep reading and you realize he's anything but. And you keep reading and he's not that bad. And it just keeps changing all the time.

And Amazing fucking Amy. What a character. In reality, the best character I've had the pleasure of reading. She's interesting and complex and full of layers and shallow and smart. It's all so much.

And the whole story is based on character development, and so well crafted. All the lines connect and new ones appear every time. It's all so beautiful.

The way she portraits the media and the scary power that we've given it, gave me chills. And how parents can fuck up their children. Not only by being mean or alcoholic or things like that. It goes side ways. Being too perfect and too uninterested. It's two different kinds of fucked up.

Nothing is what it seams. That's all you can deduce from this book that en-globes it all. Appearances matter, and a lot. And a good control of it, makes you very powerful.

I really loved this book with my heart. Even if the mystery is reveled now and the story is burned to my soul, I would still reread this until I die. Amazing book, really.

If you haven't read this, then there's something really wrong with you. Best. Book. Ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment